Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Vegetarian Wellington


Today I made my first foray into the world of puff pastry. I used the recipe from Vegan Lunchbox for mini wellingtons and made a few adaptations because I have a very difficult time leaving a recipe alone. (I made the change of using navy beans rather than chickpeas, and I added cream cheese, a tablespoon of marmite, 1/4 cup cracker crumbs, and 1/4 cup dry vegetarian chicken broth powder. ) This Vegetarian Wellington is a savory blend of navy beans, oats, brown rice, walnut meal, spices, caramelized onion, mixed sauteed mushrooms, and cream cheese along with everything else I listed above. Yes, I used real cream cheese but vegan would work beautifully here as well. I also doubled the recipe. So, though it's hard to see, the Wellington I made is a little larger than a football. I've never used puff pastry, and you can see there are a couple cracks in it. I rolled it out but didn't realize I should have lightly wet the seams to keep them from separating. I thought that since I had rolled it well the seams would be pressed close enough to each other to stay together-clearly wrong. I have to tell you. It smells delicious! This is one of the main dishes for our family Christmas dinner. My mom is making vegetarian sweet and sour meat balls. We will also be having: green salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and corn, my mom's famous dill rolls (with cottage cheese, onion, and dill-YUM!), pumpkin pie, and a plate of mixed Christmas goodies.

1 comment:

Vegetation said...

That looks and sounds delicious!