Sunday, December 7, 2008

Biscuits and gravy



This morning my husband and I collaborated to make one of our favorite breakfasts. Ever since I learned the trick of using cashews as the base for gravy and mock Alfredo sauce, it has been my favorite method. I was dubious at first. However, when seasoned, the gravy does not taste at all of cashews. In fact, I swore it was dairy-based the first time I tasted it. It's also a very flexible and forgiving recipe. It's hard to screw it up, in other words! Today, we used slices of vegetarian sausage links in it. You can also use sauteed mushrooms and onions, seitan, or anything else that you like in your gravy. Here's the recipe, adapt to your tastes:





1 part raw cashews to two parts liquid of your choice: options include vegetable broth, mock chicken broth, water, rice milk, soy milk





seasoning: onion powder, salt, savory, garlic powder, oregano





add-ins of your choice: vegetarian sausage, veggie bacon, onion, mushroom



Blend cashews with liquid for at least two minutes on high speed. This will guarantee it is smooth and free of cashew bits.



No thickeners required, the cashew thickens as it warms. Just saute your veggies or veggie meat in the pan and then pour the cashew sauce over it. If it's too thick, at more liquid.





The picture isn't beautiful, but there's nothing too elegant about biscuits and gravy. Tasty, though! We served the gravy over 100% whole wheat homemade biscuits

2 comments:

Vegetation said...

Sounds like a yummy gravy! Lol, I spent ages one day trying to take a good photo of biscuits and gravy...it didn't happen :P

Expat Wannabe said...

This sounds really good. I'm definitely going to try it some time. One of my favorite breakfasts too!