Friday, November 21, 2008

Lemon cupcakes


I used the fluffy white cupcakes recipe from vegan lunchbox and modified it. First, I grated lemon zest to add to the cupcake batter. Then, I also added a tsp of lemon extract and replaced some of the water with juice from the fresh lemon. For the frosting, I made a basic powdered sugar and margarine (vegan, trans fat free) frosting to which I again added lemon flavoring and juice. For a filling, I purchased a can of lemon pie filling. When the cupcakes were all in the pan ready to go in the oven, I dropped a heaping tablespoon of filling into the top center of each cupcake. It sunk down into the center while they baked and then I filled the slight indentation with the frosting. They were tasty, although less fluffy than non-vegan cupcakes I've made before. Also, I did take a picture of a cupcake cut open to show the filling. It wasn't very pretty, so I deleted it. The girls loved the surprise of finding the filling in the center of their cupcakes.

1 comment:

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

Those sound REALLY yummy! How ya' been? Your blog's been quiet!