Sunday, September 21, 2008

Curried lentil soup


I will be the first to admit that this soup doesn't look like much. In fact, looks really uninteresting. I stole this recipe from my sister, so technically it's hers. However, she doesn't have a blog and I do, so here it is! What I have to tell you about this soup is that it's really, really good. We had it tonight with cornbread and the "Best Brussel sprouts" from Vegan Lunchbox. Yeah, I know, kind of a weird combination. The girls both loved it. My two year-old really liked the brussel sprouts, my four year-old tolerated them. Otherwise, the soup and cornbread were a huge hit. Here's the recipe:

8 ounces dry lentils, rinsed and sorted
32 ounces vegetarian vegetable broth
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tsp turmeric
1.5 tsp yellow curry powder (I used hot madras)
1 tsp salt, more to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
5 TBSP lime juice
1 cup water

Cook the lentils in a large stock pan with the vegetable broth, water, and spices. When the lentils are almost done (soft), add the coconut milk. Then, remove from heat and add the 5 tbsp of lime juice. May garnish with fresh minced cilantro.

1 comment:

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Nice to see some posts by you, I always enjoy them. Keep up the good work!!