Monday, August 11, 2008

Omega-3 Granola


My sister loves granola. She's currently eight months pregnant and has cut milk and soy out of her diet in preparation to breastfeed her little boy. Her first daughter had pretty significant MSPI (milk-soy protein intolerance) and it's likely this baby will have it worse. In any case, what that has to do with anything is this: She can't buy commercial granola because many times it contains milk powder. I found a recipe that is milk-free, and I will post it here. The granola turned out wonderfully! After I snapped this photo, I added dried peaches and blueberries. (I dried them myself in our food dehydrator). So, it's chock full of goodness!
4 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup raisins
1 cup other mixed dried fruit (I used peaches and blueberries)
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Mix oats, sugar, salt, cinnamon together. Then,mix honey and oil in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat, stir in the vanilla. Heat until the honey is liquefied. Spread onto cookie sheets and bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. *important* stir it every ten minutes or more often or it will burn. After removing from oven and cooling, put into a large bowl. Add flax seed, walnuts, raisins, and mixed dried fruit. Optionally, you may add the ground flax seed and walnuts on top of the oats for the last ten minutes of baking.

3 comments:

zerbert said...

I always enjoy trying new granola recipes - looks tasty!

Vegemommy said...

It did turn out really well. Got rave reviews from my sister! Yay!

Vegemommy said...

It did turn out really well. Got rave reviews from my sister! Yay!