Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Cherry berry pie


I used a pie crust recipe from my mom: half white and half wheat flour. It turned out well enough that I tried my hand at making a lattice topping for the first time. It was ok, needs more practice to really turn out well. The filling was a mixture of bing cherries, raspberries, and blueberries-all from frozen.


1.5 cups bing cherries

1.5 cups raspberries

1 cup blueberries
1 tsp apple pie spice


Cook atop the stove at low heat until bubbling. Mix 3 tbsp of cold water with 1/4 cup cornstarch. Mix well and then stir into the berry mix. I sweetened it with a couple tablespoons of succanat. It turned out really well. I have made a similar pie in the past just sweetened with some apple juice concentrate, which is also good.

2 comments:

Irene said...

About how much apple juice do you put in when you sweeten it with apple juice?

irene@seo-and-beyond.com

Vegemommy said...

4 tbsp of apple juice concentrate ought to be enough, particularly if some of the berries you use tend more towards sweet than tart.