Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Vegan soy-free lasagna

My husband's favorite food is lasagna. His mom makes an awesome lasagna filled with cheddar cheese, vegeburger, onions, mushrooms, green pepper. Mmm, it is very good. However, also very high in cholesterol and saturated fat. So, I wondered if I could come up with a lasagna that would make my husband happy. I doubted it could surpass his mom's delicious dish, but I hoped to come close! I also wanted to make it soy-free because I like to try and avoid putting soy in every single vegan thing I cook. The result was really good! My husband's comment, "I can't stop eating this stuff." And, the kids ate their portion and asked for seconds. I didn't follow a recipe, just made it up as I went, so here it is:

1 medium box lasagna noodles
1 large jar of vegan pasta sauce
1 small onion, finely diced
1 cup cleaned and sliced white mushrooms
1/2 a zucchini, washed and diced
2 large carrots, peeled, washed, and diced
1 tsp oregano
2 tbsp olive oil
"cheese" *see recipe below

Sautee vegetables in the oil, pour about 1/2 cup of pasta sauce in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Place a layer of dry lasagna noodles down. Pour more sauce and then add several spoonfuls of the vegetable mixture and cheese. Follow this pattern to the top of the casserole dish. Top with a generous amount of the pasta sauce and the oregano. Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes.

*cheese recipe

1/4 cup drained canned pimentos
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp vegan chicken style seasoning
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup roasted cashews
1/4 cup flaxseeds
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high, adding just enough water to blend. It should be a thick paste when it is done.

1 comment:

raintree's village said...

Thanks for this cheese recipe! I've been looking for one.