Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I've just recently discovered Vegan Gourmet "cheese" by Follow Your Heart. It's the most palatable soy cheese I've found. Good enough that my cheese-loving 4 year-old likes it! The other day, I made pizza and topped it with the cheddar version of Vegan Gourmet and then a little olive oil and some garlic powder. She gobbled it down and wanted more. Two days ago, I made vegan burritos with the monterrey jack variety. I find that my little ones (age 2 and 4) will eat burritos much more readily if they are smothered in enchilada sauce. Here's the recipe:

6 whole wheat tortilla shells
1 medium avocado, diced
1 cup shredded vegan gourmet monterrey jack cheese
1/2 cup sweet corn (from fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
1/4 cup sliced black olives
2 cups Morningstar Farms vegeburger crumbles (or you could use TVP, reconstituted), warmed
1.5 cups vegan enchilada sauce
6 tbsp vegan sour cream or vegenaise

Warm the whole wheat tortilla shells in the microwave for 20 seconds, equally divide the vegetables and vegeburger crumbles, cheese, and sour cream/vegenaise. Roll outer edges of tortilla in and then over. Place in a casserole dish. Warm the enchilada sauce atop the stove or in the microwave and then pour over the burritos.

No comments: