Thursday, February 14, 2008

Feeding Toddlers

I live in Nebraska. That's beef country, for those of you that don't know. People at work are astonished to learn that I am a vegetarian, and the question of "what do you eat?" is often raised. The other day while at work, I was on the phone with my husband discussing a few things I wanted him to pick up at the grocery store. A co-worker overheard me asking him to pick up "Rice mik, soy milk, tofu, soy yogurt, dry lentils, dry red beans, etc." When I got off the phone, she remarked, "My grocery list is so different from yours. My kids would never eat that kind of stuff, do yours?" I assured her that my kids eat pretty much anything I feed them, and that hers would likely do the same if those options were offered. She then related to me that her 5 year-old was a very picky eater and wouldn't even eat her chicken nuggets and fries from McDonalds the other day. She herself is currently trying to undergo a lifestyle change and eat healthier: more salads, fruits, etc. I encouraged her to feed the kids what she eats. My two year-old will eat salad off my plate. She loves lentils and rice pasta. My four year-old's favorite food is brown rice! This is the way I have fed my girls since they first started eating. They like healthy food because it's what they are given and are used to. Now, don't get me wrong. They have had junk food, too, and they love french fries. I do allow them these things in moderation. However, they are every bit as happy with the ice cream I create at home from fresh fruit and coconut or rice/soy milk. And, they love eating oven fries. I try to give them these healthier options the majority of the time. I hope my girls will take these healthy habits and keep them for a lifetime.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hey Heidi
Stepping out into the blog world ... I love it ... and now I have another blog to check and read :)
Your veganism has (re)inspired us to go back that route ourselves.

(oh, and now i'm craving Hummus)

Texan Will Travel said...

Yea for the new blog! And hummus! :)

-K