Thursday, February 14, 2008

Easy Hummus

I love hummus. I'd never tried it until moving away from home to go to college. There, I discovered a restaurant called Jerusalem Cuisine. They made absolutely the best hummus around! Unfortunately, they have gone out of business. So, I have been forced to create my own hummus at home. Here's the recipe I used when I made it the other day. My family loves garlic. Even my two year-old loved this. Just wanted to let you know that it is truly very galicky! We ate our hummus with toasted whole wheat bread, slices of avocado, grape tomatoes, a bowl of brown rice, and some cauliflower. A simple meal, but the kiddos polished it off.

Easy Hummus

1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1 tsp salt, or to taste
2 small cloves fresh garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
1/4 cup natural-strength lemon juice
3 tbsp tahini OR 3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
A little water, as much as it takes for your blender to blend the chick peas and garlic

Blend all ingredinets in a blender until smooth, may add cumin or fresh chopped parsley if desired.

This is also great on a sandwich with your favorite fresh veggies: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, black olives, avocado.

No comments: