Monday, February 11, 2008

Tropical ice cream (vegan)


For a couple years, I have been reading and enjoying the blogs of Vegan Lunch box, Vegan Lunchast, and more recently the blog of Megan the Vegan. Ahhh, such good food. It has inspired me! I have been a vegetarian my whole life but lately am finally beginning to seriously contemplate becoming vegan. I do believe it's the healthiest way to be. I've never been a big fan of eggs and feel pretty confident I could do without them quite easily. I have a bag of flaxseed in my freezer that I pull out whenever I want to grind a tablespoon of flaxseed to replace an egg, and that works well. The challenges are ice cream and cheese. Tonight, I made an *awesome* vegan ice cream, recipe follows. I wish I would have taken a picture!

Tropical ice cream

1 can lite coconut milk
1.5 bananas
1/2 cup white grape peach juice, frozen concentrate
1 cup frozen mango chunks
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp maple syrup or brown rice syrup
1 cup sweet tart frozen cherries

Blend in all the ingredients except half a banana and the cherries in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into ice cream maker and process until the consistency of soft-serve. We use the type of ice cream maker (see above) where you put the metal bowl in the freezer and then pull it out when ready to use.

When almost done, toss in half a banana, cut into chunks, and 1/2 cup tart sweet frozen cherries. This was SO good that the kids were going after the ice cream bowl with their spoons when their portions were finished.

No comments: